When I was writing my first LinkedIn eBook I created this cartoon to add to the chapter I was writing on profiles. A year later, I still see people with basic information on their accounts. They likely would tell you that LinkedIn doesn’t work.
These days, though I see more “Partially Nude” profiles. So here goes the Top 10 profile mistakes or omissions:
1. The number one mistake is not having a good photo.
2. Lack of employment detail
3. Minimal or no summary
4. Failure to customize profile URL
5. No website listed or failure to personalize web links
6. Not using status updates…on a regular basis
7. Not using applications
8. No answers or asked questions
9. No recommendations given or received (or if there are some, not having 10 recommendations received and 15 given)
10. This may get some push back but here it goes…Not having at least 200 connections
Bonus Mistake: Another push back item…hiding your connections
Double Bonus: Misspelled words in their profile…here’s a hint: type your profile in word, spellcheck, and then post into your profile.
There may be others, these were just the 10 (12) that came to my mind right off the bat. Mistakes 10 and 11 might be arguable depending upon how you are using LinkedIn.
What did I miss?